Consider the relation between individual freedom and the welfare of all, as formulated in Mill’s On Liberty and Utilitarianism:
- What are the conditions for freedom to and freedom from according to On Liberty?
- What is the social responsibility for the welfare of all according to Utilitarianism?
- What is the conflict between these two? (Between questions 1 and 2)
- How is the conflict resolved in Rousseau’s Social Contract?
- Does Martin Luther King resolve the conflict in his “Letter from the Birmingham Jail”? If so, how? If not, why not?