Range of cultural diversity in your work environment
Spend some time thinking about the cultural differences listed below and how each of the areas of difference effects what happens in your day-to-day work environment in relation to co-workers and clients. Record your answers in the table below.
You might include some of the following in your answers:
• Which staff are rostered on particular days. This might be to allow for people’s religious obligations, or to ensure a good balance of staff with particular language difficulties.
• Timing of peoples’ holidays to coincide with important religious or other celebrations.
• Timing of co-workers’ breaks to allow for prayer times.
• The need for understanding when co-workers are away from work because of their need to meet cultural or family obligations.
• The type of food served in the staff canteen.
• The inability of some workers to perform certain tasks because of cultural considerations. For example not handling food derived from ingredients which are culturally forbidden.
• The need to communicate with clients in a way which does not offend their cultural sensitivities.
• Different special requests from clients such as choice of food, style of room etc
• The need for patience in communicating with co-workers and clients who speak different languages.
• The way you talk to clients and co-workers.
• The way you react to your supervisor and the way your supervisor reacts to you.
Cultural Differences How does this difference effect what happens in your day-to-day work environment in relation to co-workers and clients?
Religious and other beliefs
Beliefs about health and wellbeing
Attitudes to family
Attitudes to work
Roles of individuals in society
Holidays and celebrations
Our customer support team is here to answer your questions. Ask us anything!