Organizational structure defines the hierarchy within an organization by identifying each job and where it
reports to within the organization.
Explain the organizational structure where you work or an organization you are familiar, include an
organizational chart, you may remove specific names.
• Discuss if the organizational structure supported by theory or not
• Describe the formal leadership
• Describe the informal leadership
• Discuss the importance of informal leadership, is the informal leadership a positive or negative influence?
Reading and Resources
• Review chapters 1-3 in Marquis, B. L., & Huston, C. J. (2017). Leadership roles and management functions in
nursing: Theory and application. Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer.
• Deschamps, C., Rinfret, N., Lagacé, M. C., & Privé, C. (2016). Transformational leadership and change: How
leaders influence their followers’ motivation through organizational justice. Journal Of Healthcare Management,
• Jefferson, T., Klass, D., Lord, L., Nowak, M., & Thomas, G. (2014). Context and the leadership experiences
and perceptions of professionals. Journal of Health Organization and Management, 28(6), 811-829. [Found in
ProQuest Central, linked on the library gateway page, A-Z list of collections]
• Review chapters 4 & 6 in Marquis, B. L., & Huston, C. J. (2017). Leadership roles and management functions
in nursing: Theory and application. Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer.
• Krive, J. (2013). Building effective workforce management practices through shared governance and
technology systems integration. Nursing Economic$, 31(5), 231-249
• Stewart, K. R. (2017). SBAR, communication, and patient safety: An integrated literature review. Medsurg
Nursing, 26(5), 297-305.
• Review: IOM Future of Nursing Report
• Review: Campaign for Action Resource