1. Write a brief statement about the use of each of the following classification systems in data capture: ICD,
SNOMED-CT, LOINC, RxNORM.
2. In the article, “A New Coding System for Metabolic Disorders Demonstrates Gaps in the International
Disease Classifications ICD-10 and SNOMED-CT, Which Can Be Barriers to Genotype–Phenotype Data
Sharing,” why was it determined that a new coding system may be necessary?
3. In a few sentences, summarize what the tool proposed in the patent request is claiming to do.
4. From the article about LifeCode, what do you see as the biggest advantage of NLP to medical coding?
5. After digesting the content from this module, would you rather be the database administrator responsible for
one, universal coding/classification system or the administrator responsible for maintaining the
database/warehouse for multiple smaller classification/coding systems? Defend your stance using what you
have learned in the course so far.