Interview two persons in a nursing leadership/management role, such as a Charge Nurse/Team Leader, Head
Nurse/Manager, Director of Nursing, or Chief Nursing Officer. Select one leader that has been in the role less
than two years and the other that has at least two years of leadership or management experience. Compare
and contrast the findings from the two interviews with the best practices identified in the literature. Then reflect
on your own perceptions of the roles. For example, would you see either as a career goal for yourself? Why or
In your interviews, ask each person the following questions:
• What are the qualifications for your management position?
• What type of training did you experience for this position?
• What were some challenges/ roadblocks and how were these overcome?
• What successes/ accomplishments have you had and how did they come about?
• What skills are there to master to support your performance in your role?
Finally, reflect on your own perceptions of the roles. For example, would you see either as a career goal for
Reading and Resources
• Review chapters 1, 4 & 6 in Marquis, B. L., & Huston, C. J. (2017). Leadership roles and management
functions in nursing: Theory and application. Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer.
• Iglesias, M. E. L. & Becerro de Bengoa Vallejo, R. (2012). Conflict resolution styles in the nursing profession.
Contemporary Nurse, 43(1), 73-80. doi: 10.5172/conu.2012.43.1.73.
• Weston, M & Roberts, D. (2013). The influence of quality improvement efforts on patient outcomes and
nursing work: A perspective from chief nursing officers at three large health systems. Online Journal of Issues
in Nursing 18(3):1-12.
• Optional Videos: Future of Nursing: Campaign for Action. Retrieved from