a) Listen to or read Guy Maupassant’s story “The Necklace.”
b) Think about the message the author is sending about human nature.
1) By titling his work, “The Necklace,” Maupassant is immediately notifying readers to pay special attention to
this object. What does the necklace symbolize? What theme does the necklace convey? What other themes
exist in the story?
2) The end. of the story contains an unexpected twist. Maupassant is known for his twists Why was the ending
to “The Necklace” unexpected? How does this twist benefit the story?
3) Some readers would say Mathilde a sympathetic character?
A “sympathetic character” is the one who is likable or who evokes feelings of
sympathy from the audience.
What do you think Guy Maupassant(the author) thinks about Mathilde as a person? What textual evidence is in
the story to support your opinion?
4) Does “The Necklace” have a moral? What is it, if it does?
moral —concerned with the principles of right and wrong behavior and the
goodness or badness of human character.
5) Why is status to Mathilde? What evidence in the text shows the importance of status to Mathilde. Use details
from the story
Our customer support team is here to answer your questions. Ask us anything!