o What are the forces that influenced Evolution?
1- Natural selection.
2- Random genetic drift.
4- Population mating structure.
Definition: Natural selection is the process whereby organisms better adapted to their
environment tend to survive and produce more offspring.
o Why is it hard for many people to understand Natural selection?
understanding the mechanism of natural selection requires an acceptance of the
historical fact of evolution.
most people simply lack formal education in biology and have learned incorrect
versions of evolutionary mechanisms from non-authoritative sources
- kids are incapable of understanding natural selection because they have not yet
developed the formal reasoning abilities necessary to grasp it
Key Parts of The Paper (Body)
o How does Natural selection work?
a. Variation and Inheritance
1- Individuals in a population are not identical, they vary in many characteristics
- Do Mutation produce variation?
- Does Mutation have positive or negative effects?
- How does genetic drift affect populations?
2- Many characteristics are heritable
- How is natural selection related to genetics?
- Which Traits Are the Most Fit?
b. Overproduction, Limited Population Growth
1- Populations have potential to increase exponentially
- What is the survival of the fittest?
2- Populations remain stable after certain size
- What is the role of Adaptation?
o Recap what was said
- What is Natural Selection and why is it important
- How does it influence evolution?
- What factors make NS hard to understand
o How can we make Natural Selection easier to understand?
1- Teach in in schools from young age
2- Relate it to things that happen on a daily basis