Anthropologists study many different aspects of humanity in order to fully understand the diversity of the human species. For the assignment, the student will first discuss and investigate evolution as referred by physical anthropology, and then the student will investigate and discuss evolution from one other subfield – cultural, linguistic, or archaeological. Remember, evolution can apply to both physical and societal changes, so things like language and customs can evolve just as much as bodies and brains.
In a 4-6 page written assignment, answer the following questions.
1) Define evolution using the course materials.
2) Define physical anthropology. Discuss some of the general ways physical anthropologists investigate evolution.
3) Using the APUS Library, find at least one appropriate outside source that identifies one specific research project in which physical anthropologists are studying evolution (e.g. the Human Genome Project- conduct your own original research, do not use this example). Describe the research project and its significance in our understanding of evolution. Be sure to cite your source.
4) Choose and define a second subfield of anthropology (cultural anthropology, linguistic anthropology, or archaeology).
5) Discuss some of the general ways an anthropologist in this second subfield investigates evolution.
6) Using the APUS Library, find at least one appropriate outside source that identifies one specific research project in which anthropologists in this second subfield are studying evolution. Describe the research project and its significance in our understanding of evolution. For example, an archaeologist may look at how tools have changed through time, and what has caused that change (conduct your own original research, do not use this example). Be sure to cite your source.
8) Discuss how the study of evolution between physical anthropology and your chosen subfield compares and contrasts.
9) Conclude by discussing and reflecting on one new piece of information you learned about evolution.
Our customer support team is here to answer your questions. Ask us anything!