In class we discussed a range of different emotions that can be incorporated into an emotional appeal and tips for doing so effectively. For this assignment, you will find an emotional appeal, identify why it is an emotional appeal, and explain whether it is effective (i.e., persuasive). Refer to class notes from Unit 7: Pathos & Emotional Appeals, as well as the Nabi (2012) reading, to help you complete this assignment.
Find an example of an emotional appeal online. It may be an advertisement, commercial/video, PSA, campaign, newspaper article, etc. Do not choose one we already viewed in class. Try to branch out to find something new! Based on the emotional appeal you find, address each of the following:
(1) Provide the link for the emotional appeal.
(2) In one sentence, describe the purpose of the persuasive appeal. In other words, what was the appeal trying to persuade people to do/think/believe?
(3) In one paragraph, describe the persuasive appeal in detail. (e.g., What images did it use? What words did it include?)
(4) What emotion did the appeal attempt to arouse? Provide at least three specific elements from the appeal that support your claim.
(5) Was this appeal effectively persuasive? In other words, did it persuade you? Explain why/why not (and if it did not persuade you, what could have been added/improved to persuade you).
1) Review the assignment video (located in the assignment folder) for suggestions on how to complete this assignment successfully.
2) Use the submission link (located in the assignment folder). Follow the assignment formatting guidelines for our class (e.g., PDF or Word document).
Our customer support team is here to answer your questions. Ask us anything!